10.18.2013

7 Unexpected Ways to Improve Your Life ASAP

1. Lower your bedroom temperature:
"Even if it's not the most comfortable thing to do, turn the temperature down two or three degrees cooler than you're use to during the day. It essentially sends a signal to your body and brain that says it's time to sleep."
2. Forget about exercise: "No matter how much you care about your health, there's a good chance you still dread your daily workout, at least some of the time. Even the thought of exercise can be a deterrent for some people. Just getting started is the hardest part of working out for me, so I tell myself I only need to exercise for 10 minutes. By that point, I usually feel great and keep going. It's mental trickery, but it works."
3. Avoid technology "poses:" "Everyone has a smart phone or laptop, and we curl around them in unnatural ways, which can lead to back, wrist, and neck pain. Switch the hand you use to surf the web (I actually keep track pads on both sides of my keyboard so I can switch off). Change the ear you put the phone to when you're speaking. I forced myself to stop reading and typing while walking a few years ago, which not only reduced my back pain, but also allowed me to focus on my natural surroundings and take a break from email."
 4. Stop checking email before bed: "In general, if you can try to put a moratorium on bright electronics an hour before bed, it will keep thoughts about a frustrating email from creeping into your mind and keeping you awake. Plus, the bright electrical light from a laptop or smartphone suppresses melatonin, which you need to fall asleep."

5. Don't just sit in front of the TV: "One study estimated that every single hour spent watching TV after the age of 25 decreased the viewer's life expectancy by 22 minutes. The key is to get up and find ways to be active while doing it."
6. Change your cooking: "When you grill, fry, or broil food, the high levels of heat and char produce a class of toxins called advanced glycation end products, which have been linked to inflammation, diabetes, obesity, and Alzheimer's, among other health issues. Learn to cook with moisture-try steaming, stewing, or poaching instead of using dry heat."

7. Wear looser clothes: "Tight belts and pants cut off circulation in your nerves and interfere with digestion. Heels cause a lot of problems for women, and men wear neckties that are too tight. Looking professional matters, but you can meet most dress codes without being uncomfortable and hurting your body."

No comments:

Post a Comment